(CLOSED) GIJN, a fast-growing nonprofit that provides support to investigative journalists worldwide, is looking for a full-time managing editor to oversee its regional editors in five countries.
GIJN, a fast-growing nonprofit that provides support to investigative journalists worldwide, is looking for a full-time managing editor to oversee its regional editors in five countries. Duties include managing content on several websites and social media platforms in multiple languages. Should be skilled at managing professional Facebook and Twitter accounts.
This is a unique chance to be at the center of the global hub servicing the world’s investigative journalists at a time of unprecedented opportunities and challenges. You’ll work with a dynamic international team spreading quality investigative and data journalism to the farthest reaches of the planet.
He or she will also edit and oversee websites that are accessed by journalists in 90 countries per day. Our main site, GIJN.org, serves as a global hub for the world’s investigative journalists, with a journalism review, resource center, and help desk.
- Manage and edit content on GIJN’s websites, including features, news items, and service stories;
- Manage GIJN’s team of a half-dozen regional editors in Budapest, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Kiev, and Washington, focused on social media streams of latest investigative journalism news and techniques;
- Commission stories and arrange for reprints and extracts.
- Knowledge of investigative and data journalism.
- Five years experience as a professional editor (online experience preferred).
- Expertise in social media marketing and community building.
- Global perspective.
- Ability to work independently and responsibly in a decentralized organization.
- Well organized.
- Good communication and coaching skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Proficiency in WordPress, or ability to learn quickly.
Location: Washington, D.C. is preferred, but we will consider other locales for the right person.
Salary: We’re a nonprofit but we pay a living wage. Salary will depend on your experience.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Managing Editor.
GIJN is a multinational, multicultural, and multilingual organization. We strongly encourage people of diverse backgrounds to apply.